Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lamb with Tzatziki

I come home for Spring Break and ask my family what's for dinner. Turns out my sister loves lamb (my 11 year old sister.) and I have no idea how or when she had it. Apparently she remembers when I made it, which isn't as often as I would like. I love lamb, but it gets such a bad rep amongst most American eaters. It's gamey (which I like), but most supermarket lamb today is pretty mild by most standards. But it's also foreign to us. You can't go to Chili's and order it. Or Red Lobster. Or any other big chain. It's got a unique flavor, but its similar to beef in that you can eat it medium rare (although I cooked this medium well since my family isn't super fond of bloody meat). I think if Americans are willing to give lamb a second chance, most will be rewarded with a brand new source for culinary experiments.

Roasted Leg of Lamb, Onions, Zucchini, and a Mint-Rosemary Tzatziki. Plus these awesome chive blossoms that I could not not use.
The onions and zucchinis you can replace with pretty much any vegetable (although these work pretty well).
The Tzatziki is basically Greek yogurt pureed with a bunch of garlic, herbs, and cucumber (I left out the cucumber used rosemary and mint. I also added some Kewpie mayonnaise for additional richness and sweetness).
I used a boneless leg of lamb (3-4 lbs). Seared it in a pan until brown and roasted in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour 30 minutes (for medium well, medium rare would probably take about 1 hour and 10, but use a thermometer for better accuracy). Let the meat rest and and serve with Tzatziki, vegetables, and pan drippings.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment