Monday, January 24, 2011

6) Seared Tuna (More like...Steak of the Sea)


I) I love sushi. Although the word “sushi” actually refers to the rice not the raw fish, I am talking about the western idea of sushi. The slices of raw fish on rice with some green colored horseradish on the side. I especially like Tuna. It’s so meaty it’s almost like a steak. Just like a steak it should be served no more cooked than medium rare. Like a steak it should be seared on high heat as to form a crust. A quick marinade helps to accentuate the sweetness of the tuna.

II) Seared Tuna

Materials:

· ½ cup soy sauce

· 1/3 cup sugar

· 1/3 cup Gojuchang

· 2 pounds tuna loin

· 1 head of Bibb lettuce

Methods:

I) Combine first 3 ingredients and mix well. Reserve ¼ cup for dipping. Marinate the tuna in the sauce for 1-4 hours.

II) Remove the tuna and pat dry. Heat a cast iron pan (or a grill) to as hot as possible. Sear the tuna on the first side for 1 minute, flip and sear for 1 minute. Remove from pan and let rest.

III) Slice the tuna across the grain, the same way you would a steak. Serve with reserved sauce and lettuce.

III) Results and Discussion:

This recipe was adapted from a recipe by Alton Brown. He used a crust of sesame seeds (which I really like, but I ran out of sesame seeds) and wasabi. I decided to use the gojuchang, which is a fermented spicy chili paste. This worked and added a Korean twist to a Japanese dish. I served the tuna in a lettuce wrap, much like a ssam Korean wrap. I wanted to add peanuts or pickled veggies, but I decided to let the fish shine alone.

IV) Sources:

Brown, Alton. "Chimney Tuna Loin Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network." Web. 25 Jan.

2011. .

V) Pictures!




No comments:

Post a Comment