Thursday, September 29, 2011

Homeskillet

Jon. My dear friend who's currently living and studying in LA. I would have to say he's probably contributed about 75% of the views of my blog (through his own views and recommendations on his tumblr). Well, Jon, I am sorry for my lack of posting, I could offer all the generic blog excuses (crazy midterms, swamped at work, laziness, etc) but I won't. Instead I offer you this meager, simple dish.

Frittata
A frittata is basically a Spanish Baked Omelet. What this translates too is really EASY way to stretch eggs, some meat, and a few vegetables. This was probably the first dish I can remember of being proud to serve people (maybe 9 or 10 years ago? I miss being a kid). I am only going to discuss the method here because I don't remember the exact ingredients (anything goes really). This is the kind of meal that's perfect for entertaining guest for breakfast on the fly.

  1. Preheat the broiler to 500. Grab yourself an oven safe pan (although honestly, since this won't be in the oven for terrible long, any saute pan will probably work). Cook up some meat and vegetables, as much as you want, but I don't like to overload the pan (so enough to cover the bottom). Here I sauteed some breakfast sausage with red bell peppers, onions, shimeji and enoki mushrooms (season with salt and pepper, I also like some paprika). Make sure the saute is relatively dry otherwise the Frittata will be to wet.
  2. Eggs. You can really stretch your eggs here. Since they're supposed to be fluffy you can add more milk or water than normal. I like to add some flour to my eggs as I think this helps with creating a creamy texture (I add about 1 tablespoon of flour to every 3 eggs). I also like to add some shredded Parmesan here, as much as you want.
  3. Add the eggs to the pan and cook over the stove until the bottom is lightly set.
  4. Stick the pan in the oven and broil till top is almost set. Remove from oven and sprinkle with some Parmesan. Place back into oven until nicely browned. Serve warm or room temperature (honestly this is pretty good cold too.)


I guarantee that once you get this method down, you will be making this often without fail. It's easy, tasty, and feeds a ton of people. Its also something to let your creative side roam around with in a relatively fool proof way.

As always,
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment